Friday, April 4, 2014

Specificity: Doomed

I just finished Doomed and I found it really interesting because it showed what would happen if a worm were to destroy the grid. No electricity, no phone service, and the point of no return. Join Pandora, Theo, and Eli as they play the game Pandora's Box to save the world. Pandora's Box was a game created by Pandora's long lost father in hopes of creating a better world. On Pandora's seventeenth birthday she gets an email from her father with a link to a blog that her dad created talking about how they'd used to be so close. Within the blog are twelve pictures of her past in which Pandora downloads, unknowingly she unleashes the worm as well. Now it's up to her to play the game and save the world. Could her past really be the key to saving the world?


My favorite scene from Doomed is where Pandora wants to give up but Theo and Eli keep telling her to keep going and to have hope. I like the fact that Theo and Eli are there for her and how they risk their lives to help he save the world where others wouldn't have done the same. I also like how Tracy Deebs based it off the Greek story of Pandora's Box and how in the end when you feel like you want to give up you just have to keep going and have hope.

4 comments:

  1. That book was pretty awesome. It would be nice if you added an actual passage from the book though. I agree that it was an interesting thing that Theo and Eli would help Pandora save the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the scene you chose. It sounds like it would really show how close Theo, Eli, and Pandora are and how they support each other. I think that it would help them become a lot closer with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've honestly never heard of "Doomed" before, and now, this is definitely high up on my "To Read List". Even before I read your description about the scene, the character names were unique and interesting, which caught my attention immediately. And, the story! If I unintentionally released a worm into the world that caused incredible destruction and chaos, I don't know how I would react, so this story definitely sounds interesting. The scene you described involving the characters Theo and Eli, and how they encouraged the main character to persevere, seems to contain significant character development which would be definitely be interesting to read/experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you mean "worm" as in the computer virus or an actual, physical, world-destroying worm, but the whole concept of this book is terrifying either way. I think the way the characters relate with each other in the scene is really interesting, considering how they're talking to one another so personally and emotionally when they also have to sorry about, you know, world destruction. The like how the book and that scene relate to the actual Pandora's Box myth, in how, even after releasing all of the terrible things into the world, Pandora is left with one other thing in that box: hope. How this is connects to Pandora persevering through that scene is a really clever parallel.

    ReplyDelete